Tom was born in Charleston, South Carolina and grew up in Chicago, Illinois and Madison, Wisconsin. He has practiced law since 1984 and is a member of ABOTA; he has tried more than 75 cases to verdict in California and Nevada. Tom’s practice focuses on medical malpractice defense, medical professional advocacy, and elder abuse defense. When he is not working, he can often be found helping his wife (Kathy Joseph) at Fiddlehead Cellars’ winery or vineyard (Fiddlestix) in the Santa Ynez Valley/Ste. Rita Hills.
- 1989 to Present - Schuering Zimmerman & Doyle, LLP, Sacramento, CA
- 1984 to 1989 - Weintraub Genshlea Hardy Erich & Brown, Sacramento, CA
- J.D. with Honors, University of San Francisco, 1984
- Comments Editor, University of San Francisco Law Review
- American Jurisprudence Award – Constitutional Law
- B.A. (History and Art History), University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1980
- California, 1984
- Nevada, 1985
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1986
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 1991
- United States District Court, Central District of California, 1996
- United States District Court, Southern District of California, 1997
Honors and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Advocate
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Sacramento Valley Chapter, 2019
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys,
Board Certified in Medical Malpractice, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell rating: AV
- Northern California Super Lawyers: 2008 - Present
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Nevada
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Washoe County Bar Association
- A Guide to Health Care Malpractice Issues in California, 2020
- Medical Malpractice: Nevada vs. California, Volume 29, No. 1 ADC Defense Comment 19, 2014
- The Nonmedia Figure and Strict Liability in California: 18 University of San Francisco Law Review 253, 1984
- Leaving Against Medical Advice. Tahoe Forest Hospital District. Truckee, CA, June 16, 2021.
- Surviving Litigation Seminar. The Woodland Clinic Medical Group, Woodland, CA, May 20, 2019.
- Basic Training: Series XXI, Trial Preparation. Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada. Sacramento, CA, October 5, 2016.
- Medical Malpractice Issues in Anesthesia. University of California Davis Health Systems.
Sacramento, CA, February 23, 2015.
- Just Culture – Identifying Opportunities to Transform the Medical Malpractice Culture From One of Privileged Information to One of Organization, Learning and Transparency. The California Patient Safety Action Coalition (CAPSAC). Sacramento, CA, April 30, 2010
- Keeping Elder Abuse Out of Your Medical Malpractice Case. Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, December 4, 2008.
Elder Abuse. Norcal Mutual Insurance Company Claims Staff Seminar. San Francisco, CA, May 7, 2008.
- A Mock Trial. University of California Davis Health Systems. Sacramento, CA, May 19, 2007.
Masters California Ultimate Trial Notebook, Cross-examination. American
Board of Trial Advocates. Sacramento, CA, December 9, 2005.
Overview of a Medical Malpractice Case and the Defendant’s Deposition. The Woodland
Clinic Medical Group. Woodland, CA, June 16, 2005.
Masters in Trial – A Trial Demonstration, Defendant’s Opening Statements. American
Board of Trial Advocates. Sacramento, CA, November 21, 2003.
Masters California Ultimate Trial Notebook, Defendant’s Opening Statement. American
Board of Trial Advocates. Sacramento, CA, December 15, 2000.
- The Pence Gallery – Davis, CA
- Member, Board of Directors, 2010 to Present
- Friends of CommuniCare Health Centers – Davis, CA
- Member, Board of Directors, 2003 to Present
- President, Board of Directors, 2003 to Present
- CommuniCare Health Centers – Davis, CA
- Member, Board of Directors, 1989-2003
- President, Board of Directors, 1990-2000
- Committee Chairperson for Capital Campaign
- Campaign Chairperson for Major Gifts Campaign
- Snow Skiing
- Food and Wine
- Historical Fiction